Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: T - vertical improvement

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: T - vertical improvement
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:28:09 -0500
KV4FZ wrote: ... Heres the trick..... if you need 370 pf as in the
example quoted, put a fixed mica G2 of a higher value, lets say 500 pf.
then add an inductor in series....

That will work if you provide some lightning protection for the mica
cap.  When I tried this in Florida the cap would only last about 2
months before a close strike would take it out.  You could probably get
away with grounding the antenna when storms are near, although static
buildup can be a problem for some people.

Even when you use a series air variable cap you need some protection for
the cap.  When a cap arcs, little rough places are left which then arc
over at an even lower voltage, and those spots are difficult to fix
(impossible if you use a vacuum variable).  I do what you find in some
linear amps, add a little spark gap across the cap set to just slightly
less than the cap spacing.  Those are easy to repair.

Jerry, K4SAV