Re: [TowerTalk] abreviated radial systems

To: Rudy Severns <n6lf@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] abreviated radial systems
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 17:23:41 -0700
Rudy Severns wrote:
> I have recently completed a series of tests comparing the signal strength
> between a 40m vertical with 32, 1/4-wave, radials in a complete circle to
> the same vertical with a sector missing from the radial system.  This
> represents the case of placing a vertical near an obstruction such as a
> building.  Even over my rather good soil the results are discouraging.
> There is signal reduction in all directions but the greatest reduction is
> towards the missing sector.  I observed from 0.5 to over 3 dB of signal loss
> in various directions.  Over poor soils these numbers would be even worse.
> This does not take into account the loss due to a building in immediate
> proximity to the vertical which is not likely to have a positive impact.
> NEC modeling gives similar results to my experiments, overall signal
> strength is down and the pattern is distorted.
>
> These results will be published in the Nov/Dec 2009 issue of QEX magazine.
> In the meantime I suggest that placing a vertical against a building is
> probably a bad idea.  If you have any other option, take it.

Interesting.. of course, you're talking about a compromise installation
of sorts, so perhaps the 3dB less signal is more than compensated by
more than 3dB less hassle from the HOA/spouse/etc.

  It's good to have actual test data.  ANother thing I've always
wondered about, but hadn't come up with a good way of testing, is the
added loss from the house next to the antenna. There's going to be some
absorption, but just how much?  I guess you could set up a probe some
distance away, and then move the antenna around.

3dB isn't great, but OTOH, it's a reasonable bump for an amplifier (e.g.
if you ran 100W before, a fairly small amplifier would more than
compensate.. at the risk of EMI/RFI or RF exposure limits)..

Of course, if you're "I hate to be weak Mike W4EF" and already running
the limit....