[TowerTalk] galvanizing caution

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] galvanizing caution
From: "Stephen L. Sala K7AWB" <k7awb@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 10:47:31 -0700
I had a 24 foot steel mast that I bought over 30 years ago for the "big
project" someday.  I had lost any certs with it and it had rusted on the
surfaces being in the barn for that period of time.  It was 2 inch OD and 3/16"
wall thickness so I figure I would use it to put a 7 element, 6- meter M2
antenna above a 6-element Force 12 20 meter beam on Rohn 45.  I decided to get
it galvanized.  The company asked me for permission to drill two holes in the
ends so they could suspend the item in a tank.  I said alright as I figure they
knew best how to handle the shape.  When I got it home, the finish was pretty,
but the mast was warped slightly.  I suspect that when they suspended it on the
ends into the tank, the heat changed the temper and curved it slightly in the
center.  No longer will it roll easily on the barn floor since it is not
straight anymore.  I decided not to pursue the matter of having it 180 degree
opposite re-suspended and re-galvanized due to the cost and having
  no way to expect good results.  Instead, I keep it around for a horizontal
support someday for some future project.  hihi

Stephen L. Sala
K7AWB
Nine Mile Falls, WA
DN17es