Re: [TowerTalk] climbing technique

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] climbing technique
From: Bob Smith <na6t@na6t.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 00:50:00 -0700
I've got to second Steve's answer to climbing the 'larger' towers
with diagonals.

I recently finished surveying a 170' 4 legged tower on the Mendocino
coast for corrosion
damage prior to changing out two STL link antennas.

This tower was installed by 'amateurs' (no not US, real
amateurs).  They installed
the diagonals UPSIDE down, so you got to walk on the end edge of the
angle iron, not
the flat side.  Thank god the diagonals were close enough that you
could hold on to
one and walk 'on the wild side'

Yes, I had my fall-arrest harness on with the 'big' end clamps Steve
sells on his website.
I changed out two antennas with the help of my son (who climbs trees
for a living in the
SF bay area).  It really makes him mad when he has to play 'ground
support', but we
got the job done in less than two days and everyone sat down and 'had
a few beers'
after we were finished.

When I talk to people about climbing towers I always tell them " You
can get killed
falling 5' or 500'".  However, if your careful and plan how and where you are
going to climb, have the right equipment and have the ground support
you NEED for
the job, everybody will go home happy and 'paid' to climb another day.

Bob Smith
Robert Smith Consulting
na6t@na6t.com

"On The Air-Conditioned Mendocino Coast, In REAL Northern California"
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Message: 1