[TowerTalk] "Faraday Shield" for Coax and Control Lines

To: "Towertalk e-Goups" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] "Faraday Shield" for Coax and Control Lines
From: "Dave - AB7E" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 12:40:09 -0700
I asked this question over a year ago and didn't get any responses, so I'm
going to try it again.

The trench from my shack to my tower is roughly 180 feet long, and since it was
dug with a backhoe it is a couple of feet deep.  The ground wire to the SPG,
the Heliax, and the various control lines will all be in that same trench.  The
tower itself is extremely well grounded.

I live in an area with the potential for violent summer lightning storms, and
I'm wondering if the ground wire to the SPG near the shack might provide a
shielding effect to minimize induced common mode surges on the Heliax and
control lines, much like the top wire on electrical utility lines is used.  I
can position the ground wire a foot or so above the other lines and Cadweld it
to ground rods spaced regularly (every ten feet?) along the run.

Anyone have a thought on whether or not that would provide any extra protection
from induced surges?

73,
Dave   AB7E