Re: [TowerTalk] Resonance is over rated

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Resonance is over rated
From: Bob Bogash <bobby1@rbogash.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 15:38:21 -0700

Pardon me folks, but there is NO SUCH THING  as Resonance!   IMHO.  I
use a tuner on every antenna (even my Steppir) - either radio or
outboard - on EVERY transmission.  My current rig (an IC-7700) is an
expensive one, and my goal is to keep her happy - all the time.  A Happy
Radio makes a Happy Ham!

I have spent more than 50 years of trying to make antennas resonant,
thousands of trips inside and outside, up on the roof, shortening and
lengthening, adjusting feedlines, baluns and chokes, etc etc.  Even when
I thought I had it right down there, the next day, I'd check - and it
would have moved off a little.  Maybe it was cobwebs.  Maybe a bird was
sitting on the antenna.  Maybe the breeze was moving branches near the
antenna.  Maybe my SWR checker had "drifted."  Oh - here's a big one -
maybe it had rained.  Or was raining.  Or worse, yet, snowing.  And -
here's the kicker - your best buddy says he's getting a lot of QRM on
his end, could you go "up five."  There - goes the resonance.

People who use VFOs on radios shouldn't expect "resonance."  Maybe
commercial broadcasters or those still using crystals can try for
resonance on a specific frequency.  The rest of us ought to give up
after getting close, and then hit that TUNE button.

My two cents worth.  I know the drill perfectly, having had the same
discussion with some of my buddies for years.

Bob
W7DDD