Re: [TowerTalk] Need Input on Best Antenna for Stationary RV

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Need Input on Best Antenna for Stationary RV
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:34:04 -0700
Hi Tony et al.

I think that is the best idea for a camper antenna.

I have an 80 foot center fed with 300 ohm twin lead and it works great on
all bands.  I use a slingshot to get a line over a tree limb to put it up.
If there is not enough room between the supports, I just wind the excess
wire up on a 2-liter pop bottle to take up the slack.  Doesn't seem to hurt
the operation of the antenna any doing that.  I use an MFJ tuner to tune it.

I also have 3 pieces of PVC pipe that I carry with me to make a mast if
there are no trees around.

At one time I also had a Hustler mobile antenna on my trailer.  With the 80
meter resonator, I found if I unscrewed the resonator, hooked a 60 foot
piece of wire UNDER the resonator and tightened it back down, that really
gave the signal a boost and made the SWR a lot better over a wider area (you
have to adjust the length of the wire for a particular frequency).  If I
hooked the wire to the top of the whip, it just messed up everything.  It
would probably work on other bands using the correct length of wire under
the resonator.  73
Tom WWHY