Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 and relatively large Tribanders

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 and relatively large Tribanders
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:46:03 -0400

Tim N9PUZ wrote:
> Bill Parry wrote:
>

>> ... I bought the Rohn catalogue and it was my bible for guy points,
>> and the concrete base.

When all else fails, "follow the prime directive (Adhere to the
manufacturers instructions and ratings" and remember, just because
others "do it all the time" may be working in spite of what they are
doing, Not because of it.  That "Prime directive" is a good argument if
there ever is an insurance claim.

> No matter if you are doing the work yourself or hiring professional
> help I think that having the manufacturer's data and specs available
> is simply a 'must have' for a good tower project. There's too much at
> risk in terms of potential damage to property and life to not know
> what the manufacturer recommends for an installation of the tower
> model, height, etc.

Agreed
> I know there are some very knowledgeable amateurs and professionals
> here but I cringe anytime I read a message where someone says "I'm
> going to put up xx tower at a certain height. Do you think I should
> guy it? Do I really need all that concrete? ...etc."

There are allowable substitutions, but the catch is making sure they are
"allowable" and rarely are they cheaper or easier to work with.

73

Roger (K8RI)