Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: LP/PQ Message regarding lighting damage

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: LP/PQ Message regarding lighting damage
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 11:47:57 -0700
On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 08:08:58 -0700, jimlux wrote:

>Is it UL listed? The data sheet doesn't show any NRTL listings or
>approvals.

A UL Listing MIGHT be needed to satisfy building codes (if those
codes require a protector), but it probably does not mean they have
verified that the product does anything useful. BTW -- I don't see a
UL Listing indicated on Polyphaser products or website, or on ICE's
website.

In general, UL (and other safety labs) test to verify that a product
will not start a fire, will not burn or contribute to flame spread,
and cannot not CAUSE electrical shock. For example, UL 1449 applies
to surge suppressors, and does not require that the unit be
effective. However, there are OPTIONAL tests (called Adjunct Testing)
in UL1449 that DO test for effectiveness and endurance. See

http://www.surgex.com/adjuncttesting.html

I have not studied UL1449, and I don't know if it applies to products
like lightning arrestors for communications circuits.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC