Re: [TowerTalk] Remove Tower Base

To: NA5U Shack <shack@att.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Remove Tower Base
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 21:56:20 -0400

NA5U Shack wrote:
> I need to remove my concrete tower base. I have heard there is a compound
> that can be put into holes that have drilled in the concret that will expand
> break it apart. Does anyone know what the solution is and where to find it.
> Regar
As you want to get the thing out of the way for another tower base IF I
understand correctly:
> ds,

Just how big (and heavy) is the base?
Two of us used a pair of engine hoists to pull a sizable base out of the
ground.
Well, it wasn't quite that simple The hoists were capable of 4000# (2
ton) each. We placed them on opposite sides of the tower base, then
blocked them up with a series of 8' 4X4s to keep the wheels from sinking
into the ground. THEN we took some hydraulic drills and bore down to the
bottom of the foundation from about 8 locations around the base. Then
with the water being pumped under the foundation we applied pressure to
the base with the hoists.  Lots of pressure...probably about 2 tons (or
more) each and just kept it at a steady pressure.  After about 10-15
minutes we saw the base start to move. Once it started to move it slowly
accelerated and about a half minute to a minute later it just let go. If
it hadn't been for the "slurping" sound it would have been much like
pulling a cork out of a bottle.  This is the base was too heave for two
of us to handle with out mechanical help.   So with the aid of a small
tractor and some 4 X 4s used as wedges and skids we managed to get it
out of the hole and skidded out of the way where we could break it up at
leisure.

Depending on the soil it might take as much as 24 to 48 hours to soak
the soil enough to be able to pull the base.

Once the thing is out of the way you can use a jackhammer, sledge
hammer, or what ever to break up the concrete.

One caveat: Depending on the actual tower base, it may not be strong
enough to support the entire concrete block, which calls for a bit of
ingenuity such as a plate attaching to the tower legs, or an anchor set
into the concrete.  The block also has to fit between the hoists
although you could rig a log chain between them.

If you have the use of a wrecker to do the pulling it *might* make it
easier, then then again it might just pull the old tower base apart.
This approach does take a bit of finesse. <:-)) OTOH it's something that
can easily be done by two people with out a lot of exertion.  (In most
cases)

73

Roger (K8RI)