Re: [TowerTalk] K9AY performance expectations/help

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] K9AY performance expectations/help
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 06:17:36 -0400
After several winters experimenting with K9AY loops here, I have reached
a few conclusions that others haven't touched on yet.  I can't comment
on interaction, because my RX antenna is over 300 feet from my TX antenna.

  -- the quality of the ground is quite important.  Your marshland
should be pretty good, as long as you have a good connection to it.  Try
laying down a few 50-foot radials in addition to your ground stake.

-- the feedline *must* be decoupled for common mode currents, or else
pickup on the shield may negate the directivity of the loop itself.  I
have had very good luck with the ON4UN center-tapped bead choke
described on the Contesting Compendium at
<http://wiki.contesting.com/index.php/Common_mode_chokes>.

-- the best indicator of whether the K9AY is "working"  is the signal to
noise ratio.  Since the rear null is so narrow, you won't often hear big
differences in signal strength when you switch directions, but for
signals that are anywhere in the "front 180 degrees", you should hear a
significant improvement in the SNR.  I just don't think there is any way
that your vertically-polarized loop should be able to compete as a
receiving antenna.

-- The rear null is pretty "selective" not only in direction but in
arrival angle.  This could be the reason that you get seemingly good
directivity on the ground weave from a local station but not on skywave
signals.  You might try finding a broadcast signal on the high end of
the band and a few hundred miles away, and checking the directivity on
that signal.  The K9AY loop is much beloved by MW DXers because of the
deep and narrow null, which allows them to listen for weak signals on
the same frequency as stronger ones.

73, Pete N4ZR
New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com