Re: [TowerTalk] Crank up tower

To: W9RPM <john@w9rpm.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank up tower
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 06:24:18 -0700
W9RPM wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows of a device that could be used for the
> purpose of using with an Anemometer to lower the tower when the wind reached
> a certain speed. Have it hooked up to the winch system to engage it. Thanks-
> John W9RPM

Any of a number of programmable logic controllers (PLC) could do this.
However, you've got some serious engineering in front of you.  Some
things to consider:

1) Safety Interlocks.. how will you prevent the automated system from
moving if someone is on or near the tower?

2) A lot of crankups will "wedge" if they're lowered under windload.
"Positive pulldown" helps here, but you'll need something to tell if the
system has jammed (moving either up or down), and to stop trying to
move.  The last thing you want is to spool out a bunch of cable, with
the tower stuck, then have it come unstuck when the gust stops and zoom
down.

3) You'll need to look at your limit switches and other stuff, and
whether you need redundancy, in case of a wire or switch failing.

Basically, it's this: automated systems are more complex than manual
ones.  If you're watching the thing and have your finger on the button,
you are a pretty flexible monitoring system.