Re: [TowerTalk] Static Discharge Wicks

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Static Discharge Wicks
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:04:01 -0500
A few weeks ago I looked at four broadcast ATUs that had been removed
from a four tower DA.  These were designed for 1 kw by KIntronic.
Each was in a wx proof aluminum cabinet about the size of a 3 or 4
drawer file cabinet.   Among the tuning components and switches were
large chokes, one in each of the ATUs.  They were about 2 feet long
and 2 inches diameter with what looked like no.20 copper wire (enamel)
wound on them.  I had never seen such huge chokes in any kind of
average radio environment before and wondered what sort of function
they could have in a matching network.  "Static discharge.  They're
connected between hot and ground.  Bleeds off tower charge build-up,"
I was told.

73,

Rob K5UJ