[TowerTalk] The right tower

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>, SteppIR Yahoo Group <steppir@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] The right tower
From: w4lde <w4lde@numail.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:30:55 -0400
I was getting ready to order the  US Tower MARB-550 55ft tubular tower
and first decided to look once again at the US Tower WEB site for ratings.

US Tower has updated there web site and now has new HAM tower
brochures.  The Tubular towers (550) now only show a 10sq' rating based
on 50MPH.

My plan is to mount a SteppIR 3-element with the 30/40 meter kit which
runs about 8 sq'.  I am in a 70MPH zone.

I check out several catalogs online one being Texas Towers and they
still show that same 9 sq' rating at 70mph and  22sq' at 50mph.

The base is poured but so be it if I have to change.

I am getting up in years and my climbing days are over, I was also
planning on the tilt over accessory from US Tower.

I have looked at the Aluma tower crank up and with guys is rated at
80mph at 25sq ft.  Its also available with a tilt over base.

If there was a way to guy the MARB I would feel much safer?  To go with
the Aluma is a 40% add but maybe worth the money in the long run.

If a tilt over assembly was available through US Tower for the  TX or
the HXD series then I would go that route.  Not shown on web site.  Also
the TX and HXD are now rated at 50mph but I would have enough safety
margin with either at 70mph.

Need to get on with it before the next solar cycle comes and goes hi
hi.  Any advice or comments are welcomed.

73 de
Ron W4LDE