Re: [TowerTalk] Tension Testor

To: towertalk@contesting.com, ron@k4wz.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tension Testor
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 23:52:42 EDT

In a message dated 9/14/2009 12:02:32 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I spoke to Engeneer at Loos & Co and he said cannot use  this gauge on
Phillystran.

    Well, the Loos was designed for sailboat rigging  so they don't have
any experience with anything else.

    As you put tension on wire rope or similar  material it becomes more
rod-like. At that point the Loos doesn't really care  what the material is and
will give you an accurate reading. The Loos measures  the deflection in an
approximate 12" length.

    I tested this by putting some EHS, Phillystran  and 7x19 galvanized
wire rope (all 3/16" equivalent) in series and  tensioned it per a recently
calibrated Dillon tension meter. They all measured  the same tension and the
Loos was within a couple of percent of the Dillon  making the Loos a low cost,
accurate guy tension instrument.

    BTW the only Phillystran you can measure directly  is the HPTG 4000.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
_www.championradio.com_ (http://www.championradio.com)
Cell: 206-890-4188