Re: [TowerTalk] HB 3 ele 40m Beam

To: "David Jordan" <wa3gin@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HB 3 ele 40m Beam
From: "Stan Stockton" <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 12:34:43 -0500
Dave,

My strong opinion is that if you use a good modeling program you can
build it and put it up without any need for adjustment.  Also, in order
to add the inductor you will need to not only insulate those elements
but split the halves as well.  I think the potential problems as a
result of having another thing that could go wrong outweigh the
potential benefit of being able to do some tuning at the center of the
element.

My elements are all insulated using element plates made from G10.  The
driven element is also split using a solid rod of fiberglass.

With elements that start at 2 inches OD, you will need to have some
pretty good trusses, depending on how much wind and ice you want it to
handle.

Stan, K5GO