Re: [TowerTalk] Tribanders on 12m/17m

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tribanders on 12m/17m
From: "W5CPT" <w5cpt@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 15:56:54 -0500
Rick brings up a good point.  Years ago I was given a Hornet 3L Tribander
because it was "dead". It would not show a decent SWR 10, 15 or 20M.  I opened
the traps, the only common failure point I could figure, and the traps in the
driven element were gone.  The Hornet had plastic forms with heavy wire (about
10GA) coils wound around them.  The plastic forms were so brittle they would
crumble in my hand.  The wire for the coils was burned open in few places and
there was evidence of arcing inside the trap covers.  The traps in the
reflector and director were in better shape but still junk.  When I asked how
much power the previous owner had run through it he said only 100W but on 17 &
12M.  He admitted it failed while working 17M.  You can develop some very high
voltages in the traps in places where it was not designed to be.

I made an nice 15M beam out of it, fed it with a HyGain BM86 balun, and pointed
it fixed toward Europe.

The above is one reason there is a 5 band LPDA on my tower.

Clint - W5CPT