Re: [TowerTalk] Ham IV problem

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ham IV problem
From: jpk5lad@cox.net
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 12:57:26 -0500
Paul --

Check the article on my website called:
"Repairing a Tail-Twister Rotator"  at:

http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/Rotors/Tail-Twister.htm

I showed how some teeth were chewed out of the
stainless steel ring gear which caused mine to not turn all
the way.
There are quite a few pictures of the process including
some of the actual ring gear.

Good luck and 73,
Jim - K5LAD

> The gear may have broken teeth, that would prevent it from moving past 75
> degrees. Seems unlikely, but it would certainly cause that.
>
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 9:56 AM, N4NW <n4nw@n4nw.org> wrote:
>
> > Has the antenna spun around which could have resulted in cables
> > becoming fouled and limited the rotation?
> >
> > Happen with my Diawa some years ago.
> >
> > 73's
> > Tom
> >
> > At 01:40 AM 9/25/2009, Paul Ormandy wrote:
> > >Hi all,
> > >
> > >Am hoping someone can suggest a solution to a problem my Ham IV has
> > >developed, i.e. it will only swing between 75 and 180 degrees.
> > >
> > >It makes all the right noises, i.e the brake still releases and sounds
> > >normal when moving between 75 and 180deg and the thrust bearing is still
> > >supporting the load (a 3 el SteppIR on a 6m pipe).
> > >
> > >We had heavy winds last night so that may have been the contributing
> > factor.
> > >
> > >Hope someone can help.
> > >
> > >Cheers,
> > >
> > >Paul

=====
Growing old is like being increasingly penalized
for a crime you haven't committed.
-- Anthony Powell
Visit my webpages at: