Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower PE work in NJ?

To: ke2d@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower PE work in NJ?
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 23:05:23 -0700
ke2d@comcast.net wrote:

> Has anyone been successful in having a US Tower HDX-589 crank up tower
> certified by a P.E. for a 120mph wind zone as per EIA / TIA 222 Rev G.?
>

> For that matter, has anyone recently had a PE perform an analysis of said
> tower for a successful permit in NJ, especially the base/foundation?
>

> My township is requiring a soils test, a NJ PE designed base/foundation, and
> PE certified plans of the tower.
>

> With all the 100+MPH zones in densely populated areas, it amazes me that UST
> can only offer me a 90MPH analysis document for their towers.  Yet I see a
> lot of hams with UST models in these same wind zones.  I guess it all comes
> down to your individual town's building department requirements.  My last qth
> was in a township which granted a permit with only a survey showing the
> tower's location; my new qth towship is much more advanced.

THis is a pretty effective way for a town to comply with PRB-1, and
still make towers difficult to erect.  Not necessarily because of the
cost of the added engineering (a few thousand bucks, at most.. a
fraction of the cost of a new tower, foundation, installation, etc..
Comparable to the cost of the building permit, $600, here in Thousand
Oaks).. but that they could impose requirements that are "reasonable" in
some contexts but not so reasonable in the ham context. Sort of like the
requirement that the tower be situated so that the fall radius doesn't
cross the property line.. which would make it impossible to erect a
tower taller than 25 feet on a 50 foot wide lot.

If you live in a 100 mi/hr zone, and the jurisdiction required you to
show that not only the tower, but anything attached to it could
withstand that wind, it would be pretty complex.  At least tower mfrs
provide standard wind calculations.  I'll bet very, very few antenna
mfrs do, in any meaningful way.