Re: [TowerTalk] TL antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TL antenna
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 15:15:35 -0400
Clint,

I can't picture your physical environment, but I have a hard time
seeing how this
antenna would be less cumbersome than a simple 23' elevated
vertical.   Or, a
vertical dipole.

If you have a tree... make a dipole and haul it up by one end.

If you don't... get yourself a hy-gain vertical antenna base,  and
put 23' of tubing
on it...   put it on a pushup mast and simply droop down 2, 3 or 4
resonant radials
at 45 degrees.

In my case, I used a 50' radio shack pushup mast, snaked into a maple
tree,
with the vertical on top, and insulated radials sloping down through
the branches.
In this location, I've had a dualband 40/30 vertical dipole hung in
an oak tree.
Had to fold over the top 10' of the 40m section.   But it played
extremely well.

Unless you're truly space limited, I'd put up a full sized structure.

N2EA