Re: [TowerTalk] LM354HDSP Rotor Mounting Location

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LM354HDSP Rotor Mounting Location
From: "Doug Rehman" <doug@k4ac.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:00:42 -0400
I've reposted W3AHL's excellent email on mast loading below. I used the
Excel spreadsheet several years ago to check out my planned (at the time)
installation.

I've got an LM-354HDSP with 32' of mast- 8' in the tower and 24' out the
top. The bottom 18' is chrome moly and the top 12' is aluminum. I've only
got a single thrust bearing on the top. The rotator is a Yaesu G1000.

I do get some flexing of the mast between the top thrust bearing and the
rotator. The tower has been up several years without a problem.

After seeing the flexing, I got a second shelf and thrust bearing, as well
as a Yaesu G2800 rotator, that I planned to install, but never did. I'm not
sure at this point if I want to stiffen the mast with the second thrust
bearing or just leave well enough alone.

With the exception of an 8 element HF log just above the tower top and a 40m
rotatable dipole 12' up from the tower top, everything else is VHF/UHF.
While there's a lot of mast out of the top, there aren't any antennas with
significant wind load very far up the mast. (The HF log, 40m dipole, and 6m
yagi are all going to be replaced with a 4 element SteppIR that's on order.
This will give me some mast space for the 2.4 GHz grid dish and 10 GHz
dish.)

With 8' of mast in the tower and a 2 element 40M yagi on the top of the
mast, you might see some pretty significant flexing in the mast. I think I'd
be concerned about the rotator's ability to deal with the lateral forces.

Doug
K4AC