Re: [TowerTalk] Station Noise

To: Al Williams <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Station Noise
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 19:05:22 -0700
Al Williams wrote:
> a minor technicality ( I think)
>
> the rules are not if they create interference but rather if the field
> strength at some freq bands and distances exceed the stated limit
> ???????????
>
> If my memory is correct, the stated limit is really pretty high in the hf
> region ???????????
> when compared to the sensitiviy of modern transceivers.

For Part 15 (which others have pointed out may not apply to the fan
motor speed controller in question), it's both.  There's a radiated and
conducted field strength limit and a "shall not interfere, and shall
accept interference" rule.

BTW, I think an inverter type motor speed controller would need to meet
Part 15 rules as an unintentional radiator. If any part of the digital
logic has a clock that exceeds 9 kHz, it generally has to meet the
rules. There are exceptions for things powered solely by batteries (but
you can't have it "charge and operate" at the same time.. hence the
things you see that either charge OR operate, but not both).  But I
don't have my Part 15 handbook here..