Re: [TowerTalk] Boom to Mast

To: Scott Weiss <n2wf@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Boom to Mast
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 20:23:43 -0400
Expanding on the previous post I made.
The boom to mast clamp is at its most basic as a flat plate with U-bolts
(2 to fit the mast and 2 to fit the boom).
Don't use dead soft Aluminum, but rather some of the harder alloys the
size of which is determined by the size of the mast and boom.. To
greatly improve the holding ability while reducing the stress on the
boom, use "saddle clamps" which present a curved surface that will fit
snugly to about 1/4 the circumference of the boom and mast.  They are
not cheap, but OTOH they are a good investment that helps prevent
slippage on the mast and particularly with smaller booms give a much
better grip than plain u-bolts without approaching the crush pressure
that would damage the boom.

73

Roger (K8RI)