[TowerTalk] TowerTalk] Tic Ring 1022E Installation Warning

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk] Tic Ring 1022E Installation Warning
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 02:03:39 -0000
There are many many variations of TIC Ring Rotators and most of them have
the motor on the left side and need to be attached to the tower on the right
side.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
From: Randall K Martin <rkmassoc@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 15:45:25 -0600

I am almost finished installing a new model 1022E tic ring.  I have to
say, the new changes that have been made since my two older models are
really great.  The ring is much easier to put together, and there are
added braces on the sides that I can see will make it a much more stable
unit.

I do have a warning, though.  Today, I climbed up the tower to install
the drive motor.  The instructions for assembling the frame are pretty
hard to follow, and it turns out that you can mount the frame
"backwards" on rohn 45 tower.  If you mount it "backwards" like I did,
then when you go up there to mount the drive motor, you will find that
the frame mounting plates are in the way of the motor.  After a few
expletives, it will become obvious that the only solution is to move the
mounting plates to the correct side.

The frame sides *MUST* attach to the tower legs near the right hand edge
of each side as you are looking at the tower.  This leaves room on the
left side for the motor mount to slide against the ring gear.

The photo in the 1022E manual shows a larger tic ring and frame being
mounted on a crankup tower, and the attachment plates are roughly in the
center of the frame piece.

Had I spent a bit more time thinking things through, maybe I would have
figured this out ahead of time and saved some extra work.  I should have
known better, having installed two other rings in the past.  Live and learn.

73
Randy Martin
K0EU