Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran damaged?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phillystran damaged?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:29:12 -0400

Dick Green WC1M wrote:
> K8RI wrote:
>

>> Use sufficient tension on the cable clamps, but not enough to damage the
>>
> Phillystran.
>
>> Don't crank the nuts down tight like you would on steel cable.
>>

> Generally good advice, and of course you don't want to damage the
> Phillystran, but in the case of the 4-el SteppIR boom support, I would
> advise cranking the nuts as tight as you can by hand.
It's a balancing act.  I'd certainly go tighter than "hand tight" and
use a wrench or preferably nut driver to "snug them up"

*Generally* there isn't a lot of load on the boom truss except with the
really BIG monobanders.The truss broke on my 30' long, 7-L 6-meter Yagi
some 4 or 5 years ago.  It's gone through two ice storms since without
it.   Just clamping the truss under the saddle clamp is a short cut.
Me? I'd take a piece of Aluminum angle bout 1/8" thick the same length
of the saddle clamp width, drill two holes for the U-bolt in the saddle
clamp and one on the other side centered between the bolts holes (IE 90
degrees to the saddle) and install an eye bolt.  The thimble for the
truss can fit directly into the eye, or a good S-hook can be used IF
there is enough tension to keep it from coming out in high winds.  If
the manufacturer took the route of just clamping the truss under the
saddle I'd think of poor engineering practice (and a rather inelegant
way to fasten it) even if it is sufficient to hold.

73

Roger (K8RI)