[TowerTalk] Rohn SSV info

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn SSV info
From: Howard Hoyt <hhoyt@mebtel.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 09:13:51 -0400
Hi Allen,

As Robert Morris has stated, there is a wide range of heights and load
capabilities available using the SSV parts and sections.  I have been
collecting the bits and pieces to put up a 120 foot 8N>3N tower and have a bit
of experience to share on the endeavor:  Make sure you check out the
orientation of the flange plates on any used SSV sections you are considering
buying, or even carting away for free.

Rohn OEM'ed many towers for the major 2-way radio companies like Motorola in
the 1970s and 1980s.  The engineering for these towers was not always performed
by Rohn, and as such they will not be able to supply data on them.  They are
made with non-standard section geometries and tubing thicknesses, so a new
engineering study would have to be performed in order to evaluate their
capabilities.  In order to make sure these sections would not be confused with
the standard sections, Rohn rotated the flanges in a non-standard way.

On the standard SSV sections for which there is loading data available, the
flanges are oriented in the following way:

1N through 5N:  A line bisecting diagonally opposed flange bolt holes
intersects the tower centerline.
6N: The top flanges are oriented like 1N through 5N, the bottom flanges like 7N
through 16N.
7N through 16N: A line bisecting opposed flange faces intersects the tower
centerline.

If the used sections you find meet that criteria, there is a good chance that
they are standard SSV sections, and if in good condition will meet Rohn's

These sections were designed for commercial duty, and if in good condition they
can even be regalvanized to be essentially as new.

Good luck, SSV are heavy and expensive to put up but the results are lasting.

Howard Hoyt
WA4PSC