Re: [TowerTalk] Stainless Steel Mast

To: Hank Lonberg <kr7x1@verizon.net>, n4zr@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stainless Steel Mast
From: Craig Ervin <z50r@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 08:45:01 -0800 (PST)
Forgot to click replay to all.

Ok hopefully this helps vs more confusion.
The difference between pipe and tube is simply in the way it is sized
Pipe and is measured on the inside.   Tube and is measured on the outside.  So
if your looking for a mask that is 2" you will be looking for tubing.
Anything can be bent with the right equipment, both pipe and tubing.   Were are
not working with soft copper tubing and hard copper pipe.

For a antenna mast on a tower they recommend a steel of 1026  this is what is
commonly known as DOM tubing.  This tubing a lot tougher then other types of
tubing and its reworked by being drawn over a mandrel

For steel tubing there is HREW, CREW, DOM

Hot Rolled Electric Welded
Cold Rolled Electric Welded
Drawn Over Mandrel

People have used anything and everything base on whats available to them for
free :-o

"Hank, you didn't address the pipe vs tubing issue.  Is pipe with a seam
inherently much weaker than seamless tubing of the same material and
wall thickness?"

Not to answer for Hank, but the short answer is Yes.  I would not use pipe were
weight, strength and saftey are a major factor.    But I use pipe for things it
was not intended for and it works just fine.

For those with a broad band connection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3hXiujkqoI

Craig