Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Dbi vs DBd

To: Bill Aycock <billaycock@centurytel.net>, AD5VJ Bob <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>, "\"'Tower Talk'\"" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Dbi vs DBd
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:57:00 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

-----Original Message-----

I would venture that the only substantial users of dBd are hams and possibly
marketeers. The pro modeling tools (NEC and it's ilk, the FDTD programs, etc.)
all use dBi.

The problem comes with defining the "d" in the "relative to a dipole".. do you
mean relative to the gain in the same direction, or relative to 2.15dBi, the
peak dipole gain? At least the isotropic antenna (while impossible to actually
realize) has a uniform definition.