Re: [TowerTalk] winch handle free spin

To: luke webber <luke_webber@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] winch handle free spin
From: Joe <wd0m@wd0m.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:15:52 -0700
Hi Luke,

First - you're right - you are NOT supposed to put grease on the
friction plates....they're supposed to have "friction", not be greased,
even accidentally, as you point out in your note.  That ensures they
will hold, rather than freewheel.  I've had a Fulton K1550 for a decade,
and had no problems with it.  I've recently replaced it with a K2550 on
my US Tower TX-455, just to make it a bit easier to raise and lower with
the extra mechanical advantage.  Both winches use the friction plate
method, and both work very well.  I've heard the "rumor", but never seen
any documented failure as you describe.  I'm certain you'll hear from
others....

73

Joe
WDØM