Re: [TowerTalk] screen mesh

To: <k1qx@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] screen mesh
From: "Wes Attaway \(N5WA\)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:08:43 -0600
I think the biggest problem with using galvanized fencing for radial
material is that it corrodes fairly rapidly in most locations where it is
placed on or under the soil.  I would not give it a general recommendation
for long-term trouble-free use.  It is fine to use if you just want to roll
it out and then roll it back up periodically.

The best wire I ever used was a partial spool of #16 copper wire from a
motor rewinding shop.  It had a thin coating of some kind of HV insulation
on it that made the wire absolutely impervious to any corrosion.  It was
easy to use (to solder you just scraped the insulation off). When I moved
away after 20-years I checked a few spots by removing some dirt and all the
wire I could see looked brand new.

1138 Waters Edge Circle - Shreveport, LA 71106
    318-797-4972 (office) - 318-393-3289 (cell)
        Computer Consulting and Forensics