[TowerTalk] FW: Vertical Dipoles

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: Vertical Dipoles
From: "David J. Sourdis" <hk1kxa@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:54:32 -0500

http://www.ece.utah.edu/~ece3300/Labs/lab3/
Here you can find the file list.

"The pertinent statement is that a monopole has twice the power density
 of a dipole.  "....this gives a directivity or gain of the monopole
 antenna that is twice that for the double-length dipole."

I am not an expert but I think that power density is the same, just that one
half is gone to the radials.

As I understand the lower third (0º to 30º) of a 90 degree (quarter wave)
monopole has the same current-degree area as the top two thirds (30º to 90º)

So, also, the center third of a dipole has the same Amperes-degree as a whole
90 degree monopole or the same as the rest of the dipole, the outer thirds.

If I use a HVD thas has a vertical section 60º and the rest is end loading,
capacitive, coil, etc, has the same current area as a full sized quarter wave
monopole.

73

David
HK1KXA
EC5KXA

> Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:14:41 -0600
> From: ranchorobbo@gmail.com
> To: towertalk@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical Dipoles
>
> I don't think there is any relevance in comparing an inverted V to a
> vertical dipole.
>
> More important is the comparison between vertical monopoles and
> vertical dipoles.  See this paper by Gandhi, Lazzi and Furse.  Note
> especially the paragraph following equation 1:
>
> http://www.ece.utah.edu/~ece3300/Labs/lab3/MONOPOLE ANTENNAS.pdf
>
> The pertinent statement is that a monopole has twice the power density
> of a dipole.  "....this gives a directivity or gain of the monopole
> antenna that is twice that for the double-length dipole."
>
> It is also important to go to the end of the paper and study the
> figures and plots.
>
> 73
>
> Rob
> K5UJ

Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see  what you’re up to on
Facebook.
Windows Live Hotmail: Your friends can get your Facebook updates, right from
Hotmail®.
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/see-it-in-action/social-network-basics.aspx?ocid=PID23461::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-xm:SI_SB_4:092009