Re: [TowerTalk] Coax type selection

To: Tommy <aldermant@windstream.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax type selection
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 20:47:33 -0500

Tommy wrote:
> Very Impressive!!
>
> I received close to 10 replies to my question concerning LMR-400 and 9913
> coax. The consensus was water ingress problems with 9913 that are not
> encountered with LMR-400. These responses has convinced me to change my
> mind, even about 9913EF, and go with an LMR 'type' coax.

Thanks Tom,

I'd like to add that although they are much less prone to water
ingress,  none of the regular cables are immune to moisture and damage
with the exception of direct burial cable which has a gel coating the
braid making it pretty much self sealing. OTOH  9913 can act like a hose
if the connectors are not properly sealed or the sealant is removed by
mother nature.<:-)) It's really a great coax most of the time.  BTW when
9913 first came out it was expensive. IIRC it was much higher in actual
dollars than it is now.

I would respectfully suggest staying away from LMR-400UF as the jacket
is fragile, UV sensitive, and is a bear to trim with a regular coax
tool. IOW the jacket is like a thin walled rubber hose.  That one is
pretty much a do-it-by-hand with a box cutter.  I'm now using LMR-600,
but with Davis BuryFlex for the pigtails.

Davis BuryFlex (TM) is a good alternative with about the same
characteristics as LMR-400 with only a slight difference and it doesn't
require additional connectors and a pigtail.

73

Roger (K8RI)