[TowerTalk] ab577/621

To: towertalk@contesting.com, ed.goss@comcast.net
Subject: [TowerTalk] ab577/621
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:41:02 -0500

Hi Folks,
    Has anyone ever used a small motor to crank the mast up on an AB-577 or
621?  If so, are there any recommendations for a particular motor type or
mfgr?  Seems like it would be easy to couple the motor to the gearbox using
a 1/2 inch shaft and coupling.
--Ed--

Ed,

I did this using a 1/2" electric drill, to raise my ab621.  The winch has a
square boss... dimension long since forgotten... and will require that you
form up a fitting to go between the drill collet and the winch.

I had one made, up in Vermont, several years ago, when we lived there.
Have long since forgotten what I did with it (2 moves since).. or I'd give it
to you.    As I recall, I sacrificed a winch handle to the effort, and
Metalworks (my then local vendor) sliced off the head, and welded on a shaft
to go to the drill.

There are differences between the 577 and 621 and 621A winches.
Recommend you contact Ben, at Ontario Surplus, and see what he's got
for mating parts that you can work with.   Can't imagine it'd cost you a lot.

Jim/N2EA