Re: [TowerTalk] 80m Inverted L or 40m vertical

To: "TOWER TALK" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80m Inverted L or 40m vertical
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 08:35:45 -0800
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:42:38 +0000, Daniel Hileman wrote:

>will I be giving up much in the way of trying to get a good DX
>antenna on 40m while trying to be selfish and get a good DX antenna
>on 80m at the same time?

Another thought -- consider a 40M dipole fed with 100 ohm twinlead
that you can reconfigure as a tee for 80M. To reconfigure it, simply
tie both sides of the feedline together and connect them to the
center of the coax. I did that in Chicago, and it worked VERY well.
30 ft is not a bad height for a 40M dipole. Not ideal, but OK.
You'll need a decent tuner for both configurations. Something like a
Ten Tec 229 or 238.

73,

Jim K9YC