Re: [TowerTalk] Hy Tower

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hy Tower
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 21:10:00 -0800
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 23:38:03 -0000, N7mal wrote:

>In other
>words if you're going to operate on 160m then the radials need to be at
>least 127ft. If your lowest freq is 80m then your radials need to be a
>minimum of 67ft.

Recently published work by N6LF, and much older work in the ARRL Antenna
Book differ strongly with that statement. In general, it is a waste of
wire to make radials much longer than the radiator itself, and according
to N6LF's recent work, it can even HURT performance to make them much
longer.

>You don't really need any more ground rods but you do need
>more radials. It has been my experience you can never get enough radials
>under a hy-tower, but you should try to get at least 50.

Strong agreement on that. Ground rods are for lighting protection. They
have nothing to do with how well an antenna works. And MORE radials is
definitely a good thing.

73,

Jim K9YC