Re: [TowerTalk] Half Sloper recommendations - Results!

To: "'Charles Bibb'" <zedkay@telepak.net>, "'Towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Half Sloper recommendations - Results!
From: "Chet" <chetmoore@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 15:47:18 -0500
Charles,

I don't doubt any of your findings. On the other hand I started with the
inverted L on my 90 footer with a C31 on top and a cushcraft shorty 40 on a
gate at 75 feet and went to shunt feeding the tower.  Neither are great
receiving antennas but the shunt fed tower here appears to be An s unit or
better in all directions.  I have 60 radials attached.

Using 1/2 half the amount of wire he would need for an inverted L he could
Use that other 60 feet for an extra buried radial.If my
Results hold true he stands to gain signal strength.  He would have to
Climb the tower between 50 & 70 feet to install the shunt but he would
Probably have to climb to 90 feet to get the inverted L up there too.

He has already stated that he has a vacuum variable cap so tuning either
Antenna would not be an issue, as long as he cuts the inverted L a bit
Long and shortens it with the cap.  All in all having tried both, I am
Staying with the shunt fed tower.  In last months arrl 160m  7 hours I had
330 q's and 86 Mults running 80 watts and calling cq. My amp was down and I
Was just trying to gets some points for PVRC and was blown away to have
About a dozen EU stations call me. I was not able to get on the second
evening. I have never tried any extended dxing with the L or the shunt feed
at 5 watts. In my case the other disadvantage to the inverted
L  is that I can only bring the tail of the inverted L out to the front
Of the house, something the neighbors didn't particularly care for.  The
Shunt feed remains in the back yard and is invisible from the front
Yard and does not require the 2nd antenna support and insulators  that the
"L" does. I have never tried to Detune the antenna but it is on my list of
things to do.

Sounds like your L is working. You will never know if a shunt feed will
Be better at your qth unless you try it.  I think that both the L and the
Shunt feed are "a sure thing"  the sloper is a "possible maybe" if he gets
Lucky. I only want to climb my tower once so give me a sure thing every
time.

Press on regardless

73

Chet N4FX