Re: [TowerTalk] Half sloper recommedations needed

To: "Bill K2OWR" <k2owr@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Half sloper recommedations needed
From: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 22:50:04 -0500
Hi Bill -

Number 1 - I operate only SSB
Number 2 - I don't get up early so I don't work the ZL's and VK's on short
path
Number 3 - I  have an Icom 756P2 and a home brew single 8877 at about 1.5
KW.
Number 4 - For receiving (on 80m and 160m (and also 40m)) I use a phased
pair of  four direction penant arrays.
Number 5 - I live in western New York State, about one hop in from the
Atlantic and to get to Europe I have to reflect off Canadian granite instead
of salt water.

On 160m I have no problem working  the EU's, AF's and SA's. Not suprisingly
sometimes I hear from guys who have good beverages that there are stations
calling me that I can not hear. The penants are good but I wish I had room
for beverages - may try a parasitic receiving array using short verticals to
cut down the forward vertical beamwidth.

On  80 I really don't spend much time waiting in line. Work whatever I want
that I can hear. The parasitic vertical array really plays and is pretty
good rx as well as tx.  Not too much of a problem working JA and VK long
path.

Bottom line - Once you have the 100 foot tower, The quarterwave slopers for
160m and bent vertical dipoles for 80m are, in my estimation, hard to beat.
Very cost and effort effective.

Gene / W2LU