Re: [TowerTalk] Create Thrust Bearing Clamps, How to Remove

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Create Thrust Bearing Clamps, How to Remove
From: "Larry" <lknain@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 22:25:00 -0500
One of my thrust bearings came with a set metal strips (for lack of a better
description)
that go between the mast and the end of the centering bolts. I wonder if the
clamps
are something like the metal strips. Hardly clamps as one would normally
think of
clamps but the strips keep the centering bolts from digging into the mast.
(The strips
have not been an issue even with 20 sq ft of antenna on the mast and a
couple of
hurricanes.)

The strips are (from fuzzy recollection) probably 3/16 inch thick material
maybe 3 inches
long and perhaps 1/2 inch wide. The vertical part is U shape with the bottom
of the
U being flat. The centering bolts go to the center of the U and the bottom
of the U
is against the mast. At the top end there is a tab facing away from the
mast, if for
nothing else, to keep the strip from slipping through and falling to the
ground.  Crudely
(as a cross section from above):

    s  |   |----  <------- metal strip
    t   |