Re: [TowerTalk] More Rohn

To: "'Bill K2OWR'" <k2owr@comcast.net>, "'Robert West'" <robert.west@eatmoresoap.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More Rohn
From: "J. Gordon Beattie, Jr., W2TTT" <w2ttt@att.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 04:15:39 -0000
Bill!

Cowabunga dude!

Thanks & 73,
Gordon Beattie, W2TTT
201.314.6964

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-bounces@contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of Bill K2OWR
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 11:56 PM
To: Robert West
Cc: towertalk@contesting.com

:::: Actually I put that same tower back up at my new qth about 6 months
later. It was not damaged seriously.
It was dumb how it happened. I was down to the last 4 sections, where the
first set of guys were, and in a fit of sheer "stupid" it seemed like a good

idea,
as long as I was up there, to unhook the guy cable over the leg of that
section, then climb down and initiate a sort of controlled fall to speed up
the process.
Thankfully the tower had a concrete base that was lodged in muddy soil and
did not fall like a rock, but still pretty fast.
Had it not been for the giant wrench in my hip pocket, which broke the bone,

I would have come out of it with only a serious shoulder sprain.
The lesson learned? Plan every detail, in logical order, and think about
what you're doing.

This was 28 years ago and 7 more towers since, without incident. In fact,
I'm about to erect my new 80' tower in the spring.
I'm 67 now and at the gym almost every day......good thing :-)

BILL K2OWR

database 4746 (20100105) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 4746 (20100105) __________