[TowerTalk] Geometry of 80m 4sq suspended from tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Geometry of 80m 4sq suspended from tower
From: "Scott Dickson" <w5wz@w5wz.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 07:58:13 -0600
Hello Friends!

The next planned improvement at W5WZ is an 80-meter 4-square.  It appears
the most cost-effective option is to build it with wire vertical elements
suspended from ropes off Tower 1 (currently the main tower).  However, I'm
concerned that the geometry will create many undesirable interactions
between the existing Yagis on the tower and the 80m vertical elements.

In the purest sense, this installation should use four ropes secured to the
tower and the other four ends to other supports away from the tower, thus
allowing the wire elements to hang as vertical as possible.  At my location
this is not possible; in the direction from 310 degrees around to 130
degrees, there are some trees at distances of up to 200 feet from the base
of the tower.  But from 130 around to 310, there are no trees - only pasture
- for many hundreds of feet away from the tower.

On my website, I've posted a PDF drawn to 1/8"=1 foot scale.  It represents
the tower, the turn radius of the installed antennas, and a single vertical
element with 4 possible geometries.   Please take a look, and let me know if
I've overlooked any options.  The link is
http://w5wz.com/main/page_towers.html    then go to the very bottom of the
page.

Thanks for the help!

73 de Scott, W5WZ