Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Tiltover ideas?

To: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 Tiltover ideas?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 08:41:58 -0800

jimlux wrote:

> I think that plethora of guys is how you make it work with a long skinny
> mast.  If properly done, they distribute the load so the bending forces
> aren't huge. If these guys are doing a sort of standard installation a a

The big advantage of a falling derrick, as opposed to a fixed "ginpole"
comes into play with multiple guy points.  That is the key to how I
can make a 90 foot vertical out of 30 feet each of 4", 3", and 2"
thinwall irrigation pipe and get it up in the air.  I pull at the 30
and 60 ft points.  Attempting to pull at only the 45 ft point will
not work because the mast isn't stiff enough.

If you are only going to pull at one point, you might just as well
use a fixed ginpole with a pulley at the top.

Rick N6RK