Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Arrestor Question

To: "Bill Aycock" <billaycock@Centurytel.net>, "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Arrestor Question
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 12:05:13 -0500
Bill:

     I agree with you that a direct hit on an exposed conductor, such as a
telephone line or coax cable, can be very dangerous, even if part of this
conductor is underground.  My neighborhood has all utilities underground, so
that is still a concern to most who live here.  (My house was recently
converted to fiber-optic cable for TV, phone and internet service, so at
least those conductors are no longer an issue for me.  In fact, I removed
the abandoned twisted pairs and the TV drop cable.  But I still have the
power line entering the house.)

     My issue is with the notion that a lightning strike can induce
dangerous voltages INSIDE a piece of coax cable whose shield is grounded at
both ends and whose center conductor is not connected to an outside antenna.
This is the case with my tower and the switch at its base.  The coax that
leads from the switch into my shack is NOT connected to anything outside of
the box at the tower and 45 of its fifty foot length are underground.  My
thesis is that this arrangement does not require another lightning arrestor
where the cable enters the shack, although, as I wrote before, its shield is
grounded at the SPG panel inside another steel box outside the shack.  So if
a strike does induce a voltage on the shield of this underground piece, as
least it will be grounded at the SPG before it enters the shack.

     My issue is not with whether lightning can still affect underground
conductors - it certainly can - but with the notion that the center of an
underground coax run needs additional protection from another arrestor.  Now
if this underground coax were routed directly from the tower top into the
SPG with no intervening switch, then I would agree that an arrestor would be
needed.

     However, I see nothing wrong with adding this final arrestor at the SPG
to the coax that leads from the antenna switch.  As I said -
belts-and-suspenders.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F