Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a tower....Heresy to follow..... True statement!

To: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying a tower....Heresy to follow..... True statement!
From: Richard Hill <rehill@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:52:49 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
Jim, I think it is relevant in that a well known bridge system would have been
less likely to fail = follow the manufacturer's recomendations.  An un-tried
design is more likely to fail--and the failure is often due to a compounding of
errors in judgement or over minimizing assumptions in a favorable/hopeful
direction.

People putting up towers from the seat of their pants (sans mfg directions)
might be equivalnet to a new design.  Trying and testing new designs is what
moves us forward, but we have to be able to withstand the downside if it comes.

The modeling that "discovered the error"--was developed after the bridge was
built and earned the "Galloping Gertie" nick name.  The U. of Washington
engineering school did not find a solution for retrofitting before the loss.
It is often much more expensive to figure out what is going wrong, and retrofit
to fix it than it is to do it right the first time.

Cheaper--Better--Faster.  Pick two.

Rich
NU6T