[TowerTalk] Coax Entry

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax Entry
From: "Wilson Lamb" <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:05:28 -0500
If you want to stay underground, look for someone who bores concrete.
Usually it's a small operator and when I did it the minimum charge was about
$175, which might actually pay for two holes.  He came with a heavy electric
drill, a spider thingy to mount it to the wall, and an assortment of diamond
edged coring bits.  SO, you could have one large or multiple small holes
through your wall at most any elevation you want.  One may be able to rent
theese rigs at the tool place, but I don't know.  I was in a hurry to get my
sewer lines (3") hooked up, so the cost seemed reasonable to me.

Also, the new good sized hammer drills are remarkably good and you would
have no trouble drilling 1-1.5" holes for multiple conduits yourself.
Bits, but only up to 1"
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46754
Hammerdrill
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97743
It's sometimes on sale and they often put out 15% coupons.  The name brand
SDS stuff is expensive, but you don't need an heirloom tool.  Sunbelt rents
them for $35 half day and has bits up to 2".
http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/equipment/category.aspx?id=s44You want to find
a bit that's a close fit to plastic pipe, then push the pipe in while
applying caulking compound around it.  I didn't know it, but Sunbelt says
the same drill will handle core bits up to 6".
Here's a coring rig.
http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/Equipment/equipment.aspx?itemid=0320730&catid=s520
I don't know if it's set up to bolt to the wall or not.  The bit takes some
water cooling, but not a lot.

WL

Wilson
W4BOH