Re: [TowerTalk] LP v SteppIR

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>, <brahmangou@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LP v SteppIR
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 14:12:37 -0500

> All things considered from my perspective, The Log is cheap,
> light , easy, broadbanded, sufficient gain, automatic band
> switching, unlimited power and duty rating, light wind
> balun.

Unfortunately, if one wants a log that will hold up to any
kind of wind for more than a couple years, it is not going
to be cheap or light.  The logs with light weight (small
diameter) elements are not going to handle either ice or
the constant vibration of wind.  By the time one builds
enough strength into them, they become heavy and expensive
like the old Hy-Gain, and Collins designs for the Department
of State and/or Department of Defense.

By the way, the better performing LP designs are 200 Ohm
feed systems and require a 4:1 balun or other matching
system.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV