[TowerTalk] And one more thing.....

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] And one more thing.....
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 12:35:59 -0500
Gents:

     I neglected to comment in my previous post about a significant issue with
LPs.  The boom halves as well as the elements are all above RF ground.  Scroll
down a bit on http://www.tennadyne.com/assembly.htm and you'll see a
boom-to-mast insulator.  Essentially, the boom halves serve as an open-wire
transmission line from the coax/balun back to the last elements pairs.  It is
essential that you keep this in mind when planning your stations.  Those who
are in lightning-prone areas may wish to shunt the boom halves to the mast with
suitable RF chokes, perhaps at the boom-to-mast plate, much as some have done
with their Yagi DEs when using them as top-loading for low band operation.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F