Re: [TowerTalk] sched 80 mast now bad advice

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] sched 80 mast now bad advice
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:53:05 EST

In a message dated 1/27/2010 3:18:50 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  I think that was W1FZJ and he said ..."if your antenna lasts  through
the winter, it wasn't big enough"... .

Whoever it was - it's a  really outdated and dangerous advice.

        TowerTalkians - if your  antenna or tower ever comes down,
something SERIOUS has happened and it has  exceeded the limits of the
installation.
This should be a RARE occurrence, if it  happens at all. You should be
following the LXC Prime Directive to "DO what the  manufacturer says" and if
you
want to over-engineer your array, I won't object.

        But PUH-lease build a safe,  reliable installation! While injuries
are pretty rare when a tower crashes  (thank goodness), use good practices
and the good advice available  here from knowledgeable TowerTalkians. And I
understand there's even a book  out on tower construction which is probably a
good addition to your library.

        There's plenty enough of  old wive's tales and "that's the way I've
always done it" in ham radio that  need to be put to rest. This is one of
them.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC