Re: [TowerTalk] Swinging gate, 3" thrust bearing

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Swinging gate, 3" thrust bearing
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:25:35 -0500

David J Windisch wrote:
> Yet another project that isn't going to happen.
>
> All-aluminum welded construction.
>
> Fits 18"-face tower, eg, Rohn 45.
>
> Gate swing is around 240 degrees.

I've built several of these, one some 20 years ago. However I didn't get
fancy with the construction.  They were built of pipe, pipe fittings,
and tubular mast. The actual construction gave it rigidity.  Stuck out
from the tower by 3' (give or take) . The thrust bearings were simple
pipe T's with the threads reamed out. Overall they were 10'-20' tall so
antennas could be stacked. The bearing distance from the tower was
adjustable (the farther from the tower the more degrees of rotation
available)  as was the length of the swing arms (at construction time)
The swing arms were connected vertically with the masting at the pivot
point where the rotator mounted at the bottom and again at the outer
ends. It just formed a tall rectangle. I used one of them for nearly 15
years.  I think the remnants are still on the pile behind the shop.

73

Roger (K8RI)