[TowerTalk] Terrain Slope on a guyed tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Terrain Slope on a guyed tower
From: Phil Theis <phil@k3tuf.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 23:08:03 -0500
Given a guyed tower.
When the terrain slopes down and away from the tower it has been my
custom to place the anchor point further than the specified distance to
compensate for the lower slope of the terrain.  I have computed the
distance so that the angle sloping away from the tower is the same (and
within spec) for all of the guys on the tower.
Correspondingly if the terrain slopes upward I would compensate in the
other direction.
It has been suggested to me that when the terrain slopes downward there
could be an issue with the longer length of the guys; that perhaps the
correct measure would be to install a steel beam near the end to secure
the guy at the point where it would have terminated should the terrain
not have sloped and continue on to anchor the remainder as a back stay
for the beam.
I have computed that the additional guy length is under a 10 percent
lengthening of the guy.
Is this an issue?
I would appreciate comments.
Thanks,