[TowerTalk] coax loss

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] coax loss
From: "Danny Pease" <dpease@adams.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:21:28 -0600
For all you that feel 3 dB loss isn't worth worrying about, keep thinking
along that line. It makes it a bit easier for me to break some of the
pileups. :-)

I enjoy VHF and UHF weak signal work and many contacts are right at the
noise level. I have made several QSO's on HF the same way, right at or just
above the noise level. That extra dB or two I have available by keeping my
feedline losses to 1 dB or under makes this possible. It is much cheaper to
use a lower loss coax than to add a second antenna!

The difference between 40 db over 9 and 41 dB over 9 or even S8 and S9 is
very hard to measure, but it is sure easy to tell the difference between a
signal right at the noise floor and one 6 dB above it!

NG9R

10:09:00